Sunday, March 25, 2012

First movie watched in the theater

I don't exactly remember my first movie I saw in the theater, but the one I can recall was Matrix back in 2000.  It was a night that the family would spend dinner together and then watch a movie at the theater near my home.  I remember my dad was more excited to see it than the rest of the family.  But since I am my father's daughter, I was pretty excited to see it as well.  We never were into watching new releases right when they came out, so we didn't have to buy tickets in advance.  As we walked into the theater, we took our seats in the middle of the room.  I remember always wondering where the projection of the movie was coming from.  My dad showed me the window of the backroom.  I was fascinated with how the room setup would look like and what I would find on the inside.

Of course, no one was allowed in there.  Still intrigued by the mysterious room, I would constantly check back to look at the room.  Since the movie hadn't started, I decided to take a small peek into the room because curiosity got the best of me.  To my surprise, I found a middle-aged man standing next to the projector.  I knew someone had to work the projector, but he startled me enough to send me back to my seat.  The movie started to play and I was immersed into the storyline.  With the crisp sound from the giant speakers and the movie projected on a humungous screen, all I could do was glue my eyes to the movie.

Over the years, I've realized I no longer crave that same experience.  I'll watch movies in the comfort of my own home even though there are other things to easily distract me from fully experiencing the movie.  Every now and then, I'll go to the movies with friends, but it's no longer the same. Maybe it's the busy lifestyle or the stress of money consumption, but overall it is a feeling I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment